January 31, 2017
The Ping command is a means through which you can test the connection speed between your computer and a website. Pinging can diagnose the strength, distance, and availability of a connection over the internet.
Hold down the Windows key and the R key at the same time.
- In the RUN box, type in CMD and press OK.
3. The Command Prompt will appear. Type in the address (or IP address you wish to ping). (In this example it was 10.0.0.2), and hit Enter.
Each Ping test makes four attempts, and gives back a response for each attempt. If the response looks like this, the test is successful.
If the response looks like either of the below examples, the test failed:
Mac or Apple Instructions
1. Hold down the Command key (⌘) and press the spacebar.
2. When the Spotlight Search pops up, type "Terminal" and hit Enter. This should open up a Terminal Window.
3. Enter in the Ping command. This functions similarly to the Network Utility app. Type “ping -c 5(IP address or host name) and press Enter.
Tips: You can usually get all the info you need with 5-10 pings
As the image above shows, the test was successful.