December 5, 2022
Organizing Your Account
There are several ways to organize items in your email account. You can use features like folders, tags, and flags to quickly locate and retrieve messages.
Folders are used to organize your incoming and outgoing email messages. You can create your own folders or use the system defined folders:
User-defined folders. Folders you create to organize your email are displayed in the Folders list in the Overview pane. Top-level folder names cannot be the same as any other top-level folder in your email, calendar, or address book folders.
System folders. System folders cannot be moved, renamed, or deleted. The following are system folders:
- Inbox. New emails arrive in the Inbox.
- Sent. A copy of each message you send is saved in the Sent folder.
- Drafts. Messages you have composed but have not sent are saved in the Drafts folder.
- Junk. Most filtering of unsolicited automated email (also known as spam or junk mail) is handled by a spam filter before those email messages reach your Inbox. Email that might be junk mail, but isn't certain to be junk, can be in your Junk folder. You can review these messages and either move them or delete them. If you don't delete them, they will be purged after a period of time specified by your administrator
- Trash. Deleted emails go into the Trash folder and stay there until you manually empty the trash or until the folder is purged automatically.
You can use tags to help classify and organize your messages, conversations, calendar items, contacts, briefcase, and tasks. For example, you can have a tag for Immediate Turnaround or one for Medium Priority. You can tag for tasks or a project tag to sort email, and you can search for all items with a particular tag. You can also apply multiple tags to an item.
Creating a Tag
- In the Overview pane, click the Tags gear icon and select New Tag.
- Enter the tag name and select a color for the tag. Names can include any character except a colon (:), forward slash (/), and quotation mark (").
- Click OK. The new tag is listed under Tags.
The flag icon in the message list is a yes/no indicator that denotes whether the email message has been flagged. This can be used to indicate an action-needed item or to distinguish the message or conversation from less important items.
- Hover over the flag column of a message or conversation. The icon displays in a shadowed form.
- Click once. The flag icon turns red, showing it's active.