March 3, 2017
Scholarships will be awarded in over 60 communities for the 2017-2018 school year
ANCHORAGE, Alaska – To help grow the next generation of Alaska leaders, GCI will award $300,000 in scholarships this year to students who live in the communities served by GCI’s subsidiaries, United Utilities, Inc. (UUI), United-KUC, Inc. (KUC) and Yukon Telephone Company, Inc. (YTC).
Over the past decade, GCI has provided more than $2.4 million in scholarship funds to several of Alaska’s rural regions. The goal of the GCI Scholarship Program is to fund education and training for rural students to help them become Alaska's future leaders.
“GCI knows Alaska students are talented and hardworking, and we want to do everything we can to help them succeed,” said UUI Senior Director Juliana Wayman. “GCI is an Alaska-grown company with more than 30 stores statewide and 2,000 employees. We know that a skilled workforce is good for our company and good for the Alaska economy. The GCI Scholarship Program is one way we can support the next generation of Alaska leaders, including skilled workers who will manage Alaska’s most complex communications network.”
Scholarships in the amount of $2,000 are available to 150 students who meet the following criteria:
- Live in a location where UUI, KUC or YTC is the local telephone/communications service provider
- Are a high school senior who will graduate this spring, have a high school diploma already or are currently attending an accredited college or post-secondary program
- Have at least a 2.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale
- Have plans to be a full-time or part-time student at an accredited college, university or vocational/trade school later this fall
- Have an interest and intent to return to a rural community after graduation
GCI makes these scholarships available through its subsidiary United Utilities Inc. (UUI). The program was announced in January and applications are still being accepted. Applications must be postmarked by April 7, 2017. For more information or to apply, visit http://www.uui-alaska.com/community-giving/.
GCI delivers communication and technology services in the consumer and business markets. Headquartered in Alaska with additional locations in the U.S., GCI has delivered services for more than 35 years to some of the most remote communities and in some of the most challenging conditions in North America. Learn more about GCI at http://www.gci.com.
(907) 301-3481, email@example.com