August 21, 2019
GCI selects recipients for its third suicide prevention grant
ANCHORAGE, Alaska — The 2019 GCI Suicide Prevention Fund, administered by the Alaska Community Foundation, will distribute more than $100,000 to nine recipient organizations this year, funding suicide prevention programs across Alaska. This is the third year that GCI has supported the grant program.
“Alaska has the highest rate of suicide deaths per capita in the country, which is why it’s so important to GCI to do its part to support those who are combating the issue. It is a cause that touches our customers and employees, in both urban and rural communities equally. Sadly, this issue is personal to many of us,” said GCI Chief Marketing Officer Kate Slyker. “GCI launched the Suicide Prevention Fund in 2017 with a $100,000 donation. We were unsure what to expect and were completely overwhelmed by the response. Entering year three of funding, we are encouraged and eager to continue working with these organizations that are saving lives in our state.”
With the help of ACF, GCI awarded grants to the following recipients this year:
- Fairbanks North Star Borough School District. Mega Mental Wellness Boost
- Kenai Peninsula Borough School District. Connecting Our Sources of Strength
- Kokhanok Village Council. Kokhanok Suicide Prevention Project
- Maniilaq Association. “We Need You” Suicide Prevention Campaign
- Native Village of Kotzebue. Kotzebue Teen Suicide Prevention
- Northwest Arctic Borough. Selawik Wellness Program
- Paws for Purple Hearts. Operation Paws for Purple Hearts – Suicide Prevention Assistance
- Perseverance Theatre, Inc. The Winter Bear
- Youth Advocates of Sitka, Inc. Sources of Strength
The grant recipients demonstrated suicide prevention strategies that are best practices or customized to address the specific needs of their communities. GCI, with the help of ACF, solicited and evaluated applications. GCI will continue to rely on ACF as grant administrator.
Since the Suicide Prevention Fund’s inception, more than $300,000 has been contributed distributed to Alaska organizations.
GCI provides data, wireless, video, voice and managed services to consumer and business customers throughout Alaska and nationwide. Headquartered in Alaska, GCI has delivered services for nearly 40 years to some of the most remote communities and in some of the most challenging conditions in North America. Learn more about GCI at www.gci.com. GCI is a wholly owned subsidiary of GCI Liberty, Inc. (Nasdaq: GLIBA, GLIBP). Learn more about GCI Liberty at www.gciliberty.com.
Heather Handyside, GCI