September 10, 2015
Anchorage, Alaska – As students go back to school the Drive for Perfect Attendance Recognition program enters its third year. Local businesses like Lithia Jeep Chrysler Dodge of South Anchorage and GCI are proud to return as sponsors of the School Business Partnership program.
“In the workplace employers expect excellent attendance,” said GCI Senior Vice President and General Manager of Consumer Services Paul Landes. “We are proud to be part of this program that recognizes students who are demonstrating this kind of work ethic.”
The School Business Partnership program aligns with ASD’s goal of every student achieving 90 percent or better attendance by the year 2020. Attendance rates for high school students have increased both in the “95% or Better” category and the “Perfect Attendance” category. The 2014 school year ended with over 4,400 high school students with 95% or better attendance. That is an addition of more than 280 students from the same quarter the year before.
“Attendance has proved to be crucial to student success, both now and in the future as a part of the workforce,” said Anchorage School District Superintendent Ed Graff. “Together, with our local business partners, we are making progress, and we appreciate the continued support of the community in encouraging students to have regular school attendance.”
This year Saltchuk, the Alaska Railroad and Subway have joined the program donating prizes that these hard working students can with throughout the year.
High school prizes include:
- 2015 Jeep Renegade - donated by Lithia Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram of South Anchorage
- 25,000 Alaska Airlines miles – donated quarterly by GCI
- A pair of round-trip tickets to Seward or Denali on the Alaska Railroad – four pairs donated by the Alaska Railroad
- A foot long sandwich – donated by Subway to all high school students with 95 percent or better attendance
Middle school prizes include:
- iPad – donated quarterly by GCI
- Ultimate Field Day for the winner’s school – donated by For Fun Alaska
Elementary school prizes include:
- A trip to Disneyland for four – donated by Saltchuk
- Inflatable party for the winner’s class – donated quarterly by For Fun Alaska
- Movie party for six – donated quarterly by IBEW
For additional information about the Attendance Recognition Program, please visit http://www.asdk12.org/parents/attendance.
GCI is the top provider of voice, data and video services in Alaska, through which consumers can experience entertainment everywhere. GCI is also the leading provider of communications services to enterprise customers, particularly large enterprise customers with complex data networking needs. The Alaska-based company is dedicated to providing the best in communication services, including the state’s largest wireless network, high-speed broadband, digital cable television and local telephone services. The company offers more than 1,300 TurboZone locations statewide to provide customers with more high-speed wireless capabilities. The company continuously supports community efforts, contributing to nonprofit organizations across the state. More information about GCI can be found at www.gci.com.