How to switch to GCI Internet Services
This is a summary of the things you need to do. Click on the links for further information on each point. Do not tell your current your ISP you are switching and do not cancel your service until you have done these things.
- Set up your GCI accounts.
- Email all your contacts and give them your new GCI email address.
- If you were only using your ISP’s Web mail application you need to forward any email and contact information you want to keep to your new GCI email address.
- Download all email from your ISP’s server.
- If you have a website, make sure you have a copy or download a copy from their server.
- If you have domain hosting, set up domain hosting with GCI and advise your registrar to re-point the domain to GCI.
- Finally, once you are certain you have a copy of any information you want to keep, you must cancel your services with your previous ISP to stop billing.
- Set up your mail client with your new GCI email account.
- From your new email address send a bulk email, to all of your contacts to use your new GCI email address. GCI mail servers limit bulk email to 512 email addresses per single email, but client email programs my restrict this number to even less.
- Do not reply to any email from your old address. If anyone sends email to your old address; always reply to them from your new address. Remind them to use your new address.
- All of your email is on your ex-ISP’s server. When/ if you cancel your service you will lose access to any email, address book or other contact information.
- Either cut and paste email content into a document you can save on your computer or individually forward any email you want to keep, to your new GCI email address.
- If you were using an address book you will need to copy and paste all of the addresses and contact information you want to keep into a document you can save on your computer or in to your email client address book.
- Most mail clients (such as Outlook Express) have the option of downloading email from the server when you check your mail, or leave it on the server. Most people choose the option of downloading it so their mail space on the server does not become full.
- Make sure your email client is set to download mail from the server. Hit send and receive to get any mail you may have left on the server.
- Make sure you have a copy or download a copy from their server.
- If you cancel your service with your previous ISP, before you have taken a copy of your website, you will lose access to all of your website data.
- If you don’t already have a copy of your website, download a copy from your ISP.
- Upload your website to your new GCI web space.
- Make sure you have a copy of your website and do not cancel your domain hosting with your previous ISP, until your domain hosting and website are fully operational with GCI.
- There are a few steps that need to be taken to switch your domain hosting to GCI. Please cover the processes you should follow with a GCI representative.
- You MUST eventually cancel your service with your previous ISP. You will continue to be billed by them until you cancel your service.
- We do recommend that you keep your old service in place until your new service is fully operational and you are satisfied you are getting all of your email at your new GCI address. You will of course be paying both GCI and your previous ISP.
- GCI does not notify your previous ISP to arrange the cancellation of any services you had with your prior ISP.