Update – 7/11/14: GCI was able to secure an extension from McClatchy, the owner of the Alaska.com domain, until the end of 2014.
As a result, we will delay the email change that had been planned for July 17, to allow you more time to prepare. Your alaska.com email address will continue to operate as it has been.
Alaska.com Email change
Effective January 1, your Alaska.com email address(es) will no longer work.
- Select a new email address from either GCI or another provider like Gmail or Yahoo
- Set up forwarding on your alaska.com email address to your new address
- Let your contacts know what your new address is
If you have not made prior arrangements by December 3, 2014, your email address will change from firstname.lastname@example.org to email@example.com. We will automatically forward any email messages sent to your alaska.com address to your new alaskan.com address through December 31, 2014.
For additional information on the steps listed above and to learn more about how this change impacts you, please check out the frequently asked questions below.
- Why is this happening?
- The company that owns the Alaska.com domain name (The McClatchy Company – former owner of the Anchorage Daily News) has given notice that it is terminating GCI’s right to use the domain name effective December 31, 2014.
- What do I need to do?
- You need to choose a new email address using either a GCI-owned domain (@alaskan.com, @alaskan.net, @ak.net, @GCI.net) or choose to set up an email address with another email provider (e.g. Gmail, Yahoo! ).
- Will my email username and/or password change?
- If you choose to move to an Alaskan.com or another GCI owned domain (@alaskan.net, @ak.net, @GCI.net), your email username and password will not change. However, if you have been entering your full email address as login credentials you will need to change the address from firstname.lastname@example.org to email@example.com
- If you choose to move to a new email provider like Gmail or Yahoo!, you will need to set up a new email address, username and password with your new provider.
- To continue accessing my GCI email account on a smartphone, tablet and computer after the address changes, do I need to update any settings?
- If you have used your email username and password as credentials for any of the devices listed above, those settings do not need to change. However, many mail applications require that you enter in your email address as part of the account settings that will need to be updated.
Review instructions on managing your email accounts for:
- Modify exsiting email address only
- Apple iOS devices
- Go to Settings
- Select Mail, Contacts, Calendars
- Under Accounts select GCI
- Select the account showing the existing email address (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Select add another email
- After entering new email (email@example.com) press Enter (otherwise new addres is not saved)
- Select edit
- Delete the old email address
- Android devices
- Navigate to screen with combinded inbox
- Click into inbox of current email account
- Click Settings
- Click on email account to change
- Click more settings
- Under Incoming settings change email address
- Click Next – Save
- Apple iOS devices
- Add a new account
If you have set up an email account with a different provider the information above should help guide you on the set up steps. If you need further assistance please contact GCI Technical Support at 868-0316 (for residential customers) or 868-0100 (for businesses) in Anchorage or 1-800-800-4800 Statewide (for residential customers) or 1-800-975-2622 (for businesses); technical support is open 24 hours a day/7 days a week.
- Modify exsiting email address only
- How do I access webmail for my new Alaskan.com or another GCI email address?
- To access your new GCI email address, visit the same webmail login page you have been using (or go directly to http://my.gci.net). Simply enter your new GCI email address and current password to login.
- What will happen to the existing emails and contacts that are associated with my Alaska.com address?
- If you choose to move to an Alaskan.com or another GCI owned domain, GCI will move all of the messages that are currently in your Alaska.com email account over to your new GCI email account. This will include all items in your contacts, personal/custom folders, inbox, sent, deleted and Mailguard folders. No action is required on your part. Depending on the amount of data associated with your email address, this may take up to 24- 48 hours.
- If you choose to move to a non-GCI owned domain, you can either forward email messages from your Alaska.com email to your new email address or download all messages into a mail program on your computer.
- Can I create an auto-reply or out-of-office message informing my contacts that my email address has changed?
- Yes. Instructions on how to set up an auto-reply are available here.
- How do I auto-forward emails from my Alaska.com to my new email address?
- Instructions on how to set up an auto-reply are available here or GCI will take care of this for you, after your new email address is established.
- Who should I notify that my email address is changing?
- We recommend that you send a notification email from your NEW email address to friends, family and regular contacts.
Additionally, you may want to visit frequented websites where you have created login accounts and updated your email in personal/account settings. Some examples are:
- MyAlaska (Alaska Permanent Fund Dividend)
- Financial institutions
- Frequent flyer programs
- Schools and colleges
- Retail sites
- Social websites
- Medical providers
- Online resources
- What will happen to emails sent to my Alaska.com address after December 31, 2014?
- GCI loses access to the Alaska.com domain after December 31. If an email is sent to your Alaska.com address after that time, the sender will receive a notification that the message was undeliverable.
- Who do I contact if I have further questions?
- If you have any questions or concerns please contact GCI Technical Support at 868-0316 (for residential customers) or 868-0100 (for businesses) in Anchorage or 1-800-800-4800 Statewide (for residential customers) or 1-800-975-2622 (for businesses); technical support is open 24 hours a day/7 days a week.